Monday, February 28, 2011

I need an AIRAVE!!!!

Reading gadget blogs for years, I saw them mention this device Sprint has called an Airave. It is what is often referred to as a Femtocell but is more accurately called a Microcell. It hooks up to your ISP through your ISP connection and gives you a mini tower of coverage in your home (~5000 sq. ft.).

Before I came to Sprint, I knew I was gonna need one of these suckers because at a family house on Whidbey Island, where I take care of my grandparents, I have non-existent coverage. I even told the rep at the store when I was getting the EVO that I'm gonna need to get my hands on one. He said that while he cannot guarantee, he THINKS it shouldn't be a problem and customer service would provide me with one. If not, I could always just cancel service and return the EVO.

I will say the Airave was particularly important to me as an incentive to bring over my entire family plan from at&t because my grandparents would sit on it 100% of the time while they are at home. There is no tower coverage at all.

Now let me explain something to y'all about how this bedonkulous concept of a Microcell works with our loverly 4 carriers. On 3 of the 4 (Sprint, Verizon, and at&t) WE, WE THE CUSTOMER have to purchase the device. WE THE CUSTOMER THEN HAVE TO PAY AN ADDITIONAL MONTHLY FEE of $5-$20 to use the goddamn Microcell.


To this I say WTF!


It's our internet pipe. It's YOUR lack of coverage, and we have to pay for it? You guys should be grateful that we have service with you at all and you should be sending us these things by the bucketload!

Thinking that Sprint is desperate for new Postpaid customers, and is eager to retain them, I erroneously assumed that they would be willing to listen to some of my ideas about the stupidity of the Microcell pricing system.

The first rep I talked to flat out told me: NO. You cannot get a free Airave. You cannot get Airave without a monthly fee. It is your fault for getting service where you have no coverage and I urge you to cancel and return the phone.

WTF right?

No comments:

Post a Comment