Sunday, March 20, 2011

at&t, not Sprint, is buying T-Mobile

So I guess we were outbid... or something... because last I heard the plan was for SPRINT to buy T-Mobile. Then that rumor died and now the next thing I hear, my NYT app on me iPad flashes me this breaking news. Well, what does this mean really?

1. at&t will now gain another 40 million customer lead on Verizon
2. HSPA may become more real for at&t users rather than just a pipe dream
3. T-Mobile users will actually see LTE in the foreseeable future
4. at&t users will be astonished that it's possible to have even worse network performance on GSM than their own (last week I went into a T-Mobile store near Seattle to play around with their 4G phones and so some speed tests and despite the fact that they all had nearly full bars, I got astonishing 50 kbps speeds! T-Mo 4G is reeeeaaal..... right....

5. BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY this now makes Sprint the underdog. The smallest national carrier (save Metro PCS and the like)

6. I think this makes Sprint a possible purchase target for Verizon

No comments:

Post a Comment